CALIFORNIANS FOR DISABILITY RIGHTS
Purpose of Scholarship:
The purpose of the scholarship is to provide financial assistance to people with disabilities who have been admitted to or are enrolled in a California college or university and who are committed to taking a leadership role in improving the lives of persons with disabilities.
Amount of Scholarship:
One (1) $500 scholarship/s will be given.
Any person with a verified physical, mental, or learning disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities, as defined in the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, who has been admitted to or is enrolled in an accredited state university, community college, private college, or university in California may apply.
Applications for the scholarship will be rated as follows:
(1) 50% Demonstrated Leadership--Please attach a brief description of the activities which you have been involved that has improved the lives of people with disabilities in California. Additionally, include your major and degree level that you are working towards. Lastly, include a discussion of your involvement, if any, in intercultural activities and provide evidence of your development towards a positive leadership style.
(2) 50% Essay-- In a short essay outline your educational and vocational goals, activities, organizational memberships, and plans to serve as a role model or otherwise improve the full participation of Californians with disabilities in all aspects of community life.
How To Apply and Deadline:
Print and Mail the application.
Postmarked no later than March 31, 2011
Send completed application to:
C/O Kathleen Barajas
1410 S. Simmons Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90022-4221
Or email to:
Scholarship Award Date:
The scholarship will be awarded on April 15, 2011.
CDRF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
Please Print or Type the Application.
1. Name: ______________________________________________________________
2. Address: ___________________________________________________________
3. Telephone: _________________________________________________________
4. Major/Educational Goal: ____________________________________________
5. Vocational Goal: ___________________________________________________
6. College or University You Attend or Have Been Admitted to: _____________________________________________________________
7. Class level (Circle one): Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior Graduate
Expected graduation date: __________
8. Are you currently a member of CDR? _________
If you would you like to become a member, please indicate: ___________
*Please remember to include the following information in your application:
____ Scholarship Application
____ Verification of disability (by DSS Director, Rehabilitation Counselor, doctor or other professional)
____ A letter of recommendation from a faculty member or other individual who has knowledge of your academic ability and achievements.
____ Documentation of enrollment in or acceptance by an accredited college/university.
____ An essay regarding your educational and vocational goals, activities, organizational memberships, examples of your leadership qualities, and plans to serve as a role model and/or otherwise improve the lives of Californians with disabilities.
Describe how this scholarship will help you to reach your goals.
Essay has the following requirements:
• Not to exceed four typewritten pages
• Double spaced
• 14-point font
• One inch margins
• Last name and page number on each page
I verify that the information on this application, and in the included documentation, is true, complete, and accurate and furthermore that the essay is my own work and not attributable to any other source.
*Completed application must be postmarked no later than March 31, 2011.